Thursday, June 12, 2008

This blog is dedicated to the amazing Laura


So it's seven weeks into the summer and I feel like I have already done a summers worth of things. I've been to North Carolina and back and to Lima, Peru and back. Both trips were fantastic. I started working at Cessna on May 27th. I'm working in the Material and Process Lab. You know all that stuff I learned in Materials class? I do that and get paid for it. This internship should be the lab for that class. So pretty much I get to break things and hopefully prevent them from breaking on the airplane. I currently have two projects that take up most of my time at work. One I'm working on the tempering and heat treatment of aluminium to hit in certin hardness range. This has been challenging because we're using a very tempramental oven and we need it to be a very percise temperture for a percise amount of time. In the end I have to take Rockwell Hardness tests and compare it to Webster Hardness tests. My second project is working with laser cutting and how it affects the material. You should google laser cutting to learn more...it's pretty cool. So I feel like my job is my life. I go to work, come home from work, eat dinner, and go to bed. Luckly, I am really enjoying my job. I like the people I work with and I am learning a lot.
I'm supposed to be learning to fly as well, but I have yet to have my first flight. I have an instructer and a flight time slot for about three weeks. Every time I'm supposed to fly the weather is bad or there isn't an airplane available. Summers are really busy for the airplanes and the instructers. I guess everyone wants to learn to fly in the summertime. My instructer has be working with me but he is going out of town for two weeks. So, I'm trying to find another instructer, with little luck. Everyone seems to be booked. I know that if I get started this late in the summer i'm not going to finish...or even get to my solo. I'm debating on whether I still want to try and get as far as I can or just say it wasn't meant to be. We will see. Maybe I'll have another opprotunity in my life. It just doesn't seem to be working this summer.
Happy summer!

2 comments:

Laura said...

thanks for sharing Andy!!
it's good to know you are still alive and happy. ^_^

Girl_Friday said...

You're so much fun; I felt like I was listening to you talk as I read this post. Good to hear from you!

Sydney