Saturday, May 19, 2007

Large Ridiculousness

Okay, so....
I just got back a little while ago from working in the kitchen for a large wedding reception. Next week, I will be working for an even more huge one. I'm talking around 250 people today and planning for about 350 to 400 next week. This is just the receptions!
So just for the record, large weddings are completely ridiculous and extravagance is pointless. Now, don't misunderstand me: weddings are wonderful and wanting to share the joy of the occasion is good, usually, but often they are far too over done and well, plain ridiculously impractical. For those who don't know me very well, I might as well just tell you: I'm extremely practically minded. I get in trouble for it many times. Honestly, if you have so many guest that once you finish greeting it is time for people to start the farewells, I believe that would be an excellent indicator there are way too many. After all, isn't the whole wedding stuff and thereafter supposed to be about the bride and groom, not the guest feeling comfortable and included?
But what do I know? I've never planned a wedding.
So, what do y'all think? Is it more important to include everyone and make it large or focus on the couple and invite just the close friends and family? How would you determine a good balance?

5 comments:

Benaiah said...

I completely agree with you Laura! I think it is better to have a smaller wedding and have just the people that are close to you there. It seems to me that it would make the day much more enjoyable for the couple if they could really share it with the people they love. (But I've never had a wedding so I guess I don't really know ^_^)

Grey said...

You invite everyone you know so they won't feel left out, then have the wedding at a remote location so that only those really close to you come.

Or you just invite close and semi-close friends and relatives. With both sides, that should be enough.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the wedding be about all the hearts and souls that made match work? Hopefully the couple is not an island but has been prayed for, loved, encouraged and guided with the help of certain family and friends. Perhaps Christians should put more emphasis on celebrating with THAT community. What do you think?

Laura said...

servo, I think your right. however, I'm not sure how that would work as far as who would be invited...but then I don't have to worry about such things, since I'm not planning a wedding.
Although,I do agree with you none the less.

paquito said...

I like grey's idea. I like the idea of a wedding in the antarctic! But wherever you have it, it should be a special day for the couple--not 50 bazillion people whose names they MIGHT know.